In recent years, the RV industry has experienced an incredible growth in terms of sales, usage, and ownership.
31% of respondents in a 2021 survey claimed that they are first-time RV owners, which shows just how rapidly this industry is expanding.
More people are discovering the joy of
renting an RV in the US (or elsewhere) and choosing it over booking a cheap hotel during their vacation. Out of all recorded RV owners in the United States, 1.5% is living in it full-time.
Here are some of the most interesting and up-to-date statistics about the RV industry.
Sources : I’ve included the source for each data under every stat, but you can find a full list of all the articles and reports used in this round-up at the bottom of the post. How large is the RV industry?
The RV industry has an economic impact of $140 billion to the US economy and $4.8 billion of GDP for the Canadian economy.
Meanwhile, in the UK, RV sales hit its record high of £1.15 billion in 2021.
What is the outlook for the RV industry?
The general outlook for the worldwide RV industry is positive. In 2021, there were a total of 600,240 RV shipments, which is an astounding 362% increase from 2009!
Where are the most RVs sold?
With $2.4 billion worth of RVs sold in 2019,
California is the US state with the highest sales of RVs. Is the RV industry slowing down in 2022?
The RV industry is not slowing down in 2022. In fact, January 2022 recorded a total of 53,290 RV shipments, 16% more than the previous year.
RV Industry Key Statistics The RV industry has an economic impact of $140 billion to the US economy, which is a 23% increase from 2019 to 2022. $416 million worth of RVs were manufactured in Canada in 2019. RV sales in the UK has also reached a record high in 2021, at around £1.15 billion. The overall RV industry in the US supports almost 680 thousand jobs. Between 2001 and 2021, RV ownership has risen by more than 62%. Family campers make up 33% of all RV owners and 64% of them are employed full-time. The median usage of RVs by current owners is 20 days per year. In January 2022, total RV shipments was 53,290, which was 16% higher than in January 2021. General RV industry statistics How many RVs are sold each year? 1. Total RV shipments in July 2020 rose by 53.5% from the previous year.
2. RV price varies wildly depending on the vehicle type, but the most affordable one is the pop-up camper, averaging at $16,900.
3. Class A motorhomes are the most expensive RV type, which costs $375,800 on average.
Class A RVs are the size of a large bus and have high-end design and quality. It’s the most luxurious
type of RV, and can be suitable for short vacations and full-time living alike. 4. Meanwhile, Class B and Class C motorhomes have an average price of $134,000 and $148,000 respectively.
RV industry economic impact How large is the RV industry? 5. The RV industry has an economic impact of $140 billion to the US economy, which is a 23% increase from 2019 to 2022.
This includes activities in the manufacture, sale, rental, repair, storage, service, financing, and insurance of RVs.
6. Out of this amount, $73.7 billion is generated by RV manufacturers and suppliers.
7. $35.7 billion is produced by RV campgrounds and related travel.
This shows how a huge part of
tourism in the US is driven by RV trips. 8. Finally, RV sales and service activities give rise to $30.5 billion.
9. Additionally, the American RV industry also pays $13.6 billion in federal, state, and local taxes.
10. Meanwhile, the RV industry generated $4.8 billion of GDP for the Canadian economy in 2019.
The RV industry has a huge economic impact for other countries too, including from those
road tripping Canada. 11. $416 million worth of RVs were manufactured in Canada in 2019.
12. Canadian RV retailers have offered more than 200,000 indirect loans in 2017, which amounted to a total of $8.4 billion.
13. Out of those, the average amount lent for financing an RV purchase is $45,000.
14. RV sales in the UK has also reached a record high in 2021, at around £1.15 billion.
In 2021, RV sales in the UK hit a record high of approximately £1.15 billion, showing that
road travel is becoming ever popular in the UK. Jobs in the RV industry How many people are employed in the RV industry? 15. The overall RV industry in the US supports almost 680 thousand jobs.
16. This US RV industry also pays over $48 billion in wages.
17. American RV parks in particular recorded a total of 22,673 employees in 2018, which is up from 19,354 employees in 2017.
18. RV dealers with fewer than five employees tend to pay better with $59,770 in salary compared to the $42,820 average.
19. In Canada, there are around 67,200 jobs in the RV industry.
The US RV industry How many RV dealers are there in the US? 20. In 2017, there were 2,667 known RV dealers in the US alone.
21. 11.2 million households in the US currently own RVs.
22. Moreover, an additional 9.6 million households have expressed the intention to purchase an RV in the next five years.
24. The states that sell the second and third most RVs are Texas and Florida, with $1.8 and $1.5 billion respectively.
25. In 2020, there were a total of 1,459,483 RV overnight stays in all National Park Service campgrounds.
26. 7.92% of those were in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, which ranks as the most popular National Park destination for RV users.
27. This was followed by Death Valley, Olympic, and Zion NP.
28. 4 in every 5 RVs in North America are manufactured in northern Indiana.
RV owner demographics Who owns and buys RVs? 29. Between 2001 and 2021, RV ownership has risen by more than 62%.
Research hypothesizes that one of the main reasons behind this is the
rising popularity of digital nomads and location independent work. 30. A recent survey by the RV Industry Association recorded that 31% of their respondents are first-time owners, which emphasizes the rapid growth of the industry in recent years.
The association also notes that ownership is spread evenly across age, gender, household income, as well as education levels.
31. This survey classified 7 types of RV owners, with “casual campers” making up the most portion at 39%.
This refers to people who use their RVs on average 16 days per year, typically during vacation and in warmer months.
32. Family campers make up 33% of all RV owners and 64% of them are employed full-time.
This represents a demographic of
families who travel together, using their RVs 13 days annually on average. 33. The rarest type of RV owner is the adventure seeker (1%). They are generally outdoor enthusiasts who use their RV an average of 200 days per year.
34. 1.5% of RV owners live in their RVs full-time, with 70% of those in this category being female.
This shows that it is becoming increasingly popular for
female travelers to be living nomadically. 35. Adults aged 18 to 34 years old make up 22% of the RV ownership market.
This shows just how popular the traveling lifestyle is among the
Millennial and Gen Z population, as 18 to 24 year olds comprise 22% of RV owners. 36. 84% of Millennials and Gen Z'ers who already own an RV are planning to buy another one.
RV use and destination How do people use their RVs? What are the top RV destinations? 37. The median usage of RVs by current owners is 20 days per year.
38. However, those who intend to buy and RV claim that they’re planning to use it a median of 25 days annually.
This notable increase points to the changing behavior in terms of remote work.
39. The top RV vacation destination in the US is Yosemite National Park, which welcomes around 250,000 visitors by RV annually.
40. Motorhome/ RV is the second most popular choice of transportation for people who travel with their pets (28.3%).
28.3% of people who travel with their pets prefer to use motorhome or RV. This is the second favorite choice after car rentals or pick-up (63.8%). RV industry outlook & trends Is the RV industry slowing down in 2022? 41. In 2021, there were a total of 600,240 RV shipments recorded by RVIA. This is an incredible growth of roughly 362% from 2009 (165,709 total shipments).
42. Out of the total RV shipments in 2021, 90.64% was towable RVs while 9.36% was for motorhomes.
43. The over 600 thousand RV shipments in 2020 also surpassed the previous annual record of 504,599 shipments in 2017 by an impressive 19%.
This increase in RV shipment shows that although the
Covid-19 pandemic has slowed down the travel industry, it has only inspired more people to take up RVing. 44. In January 2022, total RV shipments was 53,290, which was 16% higher than in January 2021.
Again, this proves that the RV industry is in fact not slowing down in 2022.
45. Between July 2020 and June 2021, there were 16,608 new motorhomes registered with the DVLA in the UK. This is significantly higher (by 8.25%) than the previous record in the 2018/19 period.
Summary of RV Industry Facts
The RV industry is clearly thriving the most in the United States, but other countries have also seen a recent boom in sales of campers and motorhomes.
the rising popularity of glamping, living and travelling by RV has become a huge trend.
I’ve tried to be as comprehensive as possible with these statistics.
Let me know if I’ve missed anything important!
In the meantime, here are some more stats to check out…