33. As of 2021, there are nearly 6.8 thousand holiday dwellings, 3.5 thousand bed and breakfasts, and 414 holiday homes in Rome.
These three are the most popular types of non-hotel facilities in Rome.
34. There are 44 youth hostels recorded in Rome.
35. In 2021, Municipio I - Historical Center-Prati had the most bed and breakfasts (577 establishments).
Rome is divided into 15 sub-municipalities, with the Prati neighborhood recording the most B&Bs within the city.
The sub-municipality with the least bed and breakfasts is Municipio XV, with only 21 such properties.
36. Prati is also the sub-municipality with the highest number of vacation rentals, or 7.8 thousand establishments in total.
Municipio VI has the least number of vacation rentals, at only 62 vacation rentals.
Tourism destinations in Rome
Where is the most visited place in Rome?
37. Rome has 35 paid state cultural institutions and 24 attractions with free entry.
In the region of Lazio, Rome is the province with the highest number of state cultural attractions.
38. In total, there were 4.8 million visitors to state museums, monuments, and archaeological areas in Rome in 2021.
39. The Colosseum is the most popular tourist attraction not only in Rome, but all of Italy. It welcomed 1.7 million visitors in 2021, which was higher than the 1.1 million in 2020.
40. After the Colosseum, the most popular sites in Rome are Trevi Fountain (visited by 86.3% of tourists), Pantheon (82.6%), Piazza di Spagna (81.7%), St. Peter's Basilica (75,1%), and the Roman Forum (73.9%).
41. The Mausoleum of Hadrian greeted 1.2 million visitors in 2019, 220 thousand in 2020, and 240 thousand in 2021.
The figure is steadily rising as tourism in Rome and Italy overall is recovering, but it’s still well below the pre-pandemic level.
Traveller’s opinion on Rome tourism
What do tourists think about Rome?
42. 14% of tourists in Rome are annoyed by street vendors who keep offering their products.
43. A further 13% are dissatisfied with lots of vehicles on the streets of Rome.
44. 12.2% of tourists are also dissatisfied by the unclean streets.
45. Meanwhile, public transportation is a negative factor of Rome tourism for 11.5% of visitors.
46. On the other hand, the survey reveals that 1 in 10 visitors to Rome claim that “Rome is beautiful, as is”.
47. 4 in 5 tourists also says that Rome is the most beautiful city in Italy.
48. Moreover, 75% of people who travel to Rome state that they will return for a second visit.
Overall, Rome’s tourism is rising as the world continues to recover from the Coronavirus pandemic.
Whether you’re a digital nomad looking for the next place to work from or simply want to understand more about Rome, we hope these statistics are helpful.
Let us know in the comments if we missed any interesting facts about Rome’s travel industry!
In the meantime, you might enjoy these other stats:
Disclaimer: Fully research your destination prior to travel, or any products prior to purchase. We can accept no responsibility for anything you experience as a result of the information found on this website. Some posts may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission for some purchases, at no additional expense to you. Read more here.
As the type 1 diabetic half of Dream Big, Travel Far, I'm passionate about encouraging fellow type 1's to travel the world and not let their diabetes hold them back. I'm proud to now be a full-time digital nomad. Meaning I live my life working and travelling all over the world and am here to help you achieve your dreams as well in any way I can.
5 million people can't be wrong
Get exclusive weekly travel tips. Subscribe to our travel newsletter here.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
No spam, we promise, unsubscribe at any time. & updates on our drive around the world
Leave a comment
Let us know what you think!